Like the pilgrim needs an assessment of their capabilities and needs before starting his particular pilgrimage, so does our dog if we want it to join us during this exciting journey. We give you some tips that you should consider if you are thinking about taking your pet with you to the Camino de Santiago.
When you start thinking about becoming a pilgrim or only want to repeat the experience, for sure the first idea that comes to your mind is the effort and preparation necessary.
The best thing you can do, almost if you're not used to spend hours on the bike, is start a training routine to prepare you to pass each stage. Remember how to make the "Road with Health " that is the key to success. If you have decided that your dog accompany you is appropriate prior discussion with your veterinarian talking about :
• Stages .
• Total travel .
• your travel .
• Time of the year.
• Accommodation Intentions (Sleep out or in hostels, hotels)...
He can advise you on these and other points because it is who better knows the dog and its limitations.
Do not forget to ask about:
• The cares during the trip.
• Food .
• necessary Rest and interval times(You can also consult on the ideas that your dog does the Way walking or in some trailer)
• Massage or cares for specific areas, joints and pads are sensitive areas which can be resent bythe continued intensive exercise.
• Food : type and frequency .
• HYDRATION IS VERY IMPORTANT.
• Body preparation with vitamin complexes.
• Trainee program , just like you .
• Environment adaptation at the area that you're going to expose : road , mountain, areas with other animals around ...
It is suitable worming your dog both inside and out. Anti fleas collars and ticks are essential. Remember that you will be surrounded by pure nature and our eye can only perceive a part of it , there are thousands of small creatures in hair and skin of our dog that find there a paradise for live or eat.
Please note that your dog also are going to suffer a remarkable physical activity , take care for the way they have to further intensify .
But the most important thing you will need is an extra dose of hugs and legs and spine massages.
There are many accommodations that allow dogs , but there are also those who do not admit , it is very convenient to have your route planned .Be careful to choose the dates, especially in very cold and very hot times, in some times, depending of the stagesthey can be affect much more than us.
© Copyright LA VOZ DE GALICIA S.A. Polígono de Sabón, Arteixo, A CORUÑA (ESPAÑA) Inscrita en el Registro Mercantil de A Coruña en el Tomo 2438 del Archivo, Sección General, a los folios 91 y siguientes, hoja C-2141. CIF: A-15000649