Iglesia de San Pedro - Wikimedia commons/Zarateman
Any pilgrim on the French Way must pass through Belorado, one of the key towns of this Jacobean route. Located in the eastern part of the province of Burgos, it is the end and starting point of different stages of the French Way, being one of the first towns that pilgrims cross after leaving La Rioja.
Although there are many monuments that can be found in Belorado, one of the most important is the Church of San Pedro. This religious building dates from the seventeenth century, after a restoration of the original structure that was built in medieval times. This restoration was promoted by the importance of this place, which served as a meeting center for years.
Located in the Plaza Mayor of this town, it is one of the most emblematic points of Belorado. Its great tower with the clock is the highest point of the church, which is formed by a single nave where it houses important artistic works such as the main altarpiece from 1760 and the organ dating from the eighteenth century. These two jewels belong to the rococo style and are the most representative elements of the place.
Focusing on the architectural style we can mention that the Church of San Pedro has elements of Gothic and Baroque art. This artistic fusion can be appreciated both in its main façade and in its chevet, which we can appreciate together with the rest of the decorative elements that we can find in the Main Square of this town.