Located next to the Cathedral of Santiago, in the Plaza del Obradoiro, is the Hostal de los Reyes Católicos, one of the most emblematic buildings of the Galician capital and the Camino de Santiago itself. This important building, located opposite the Colegio de San Jerónimo and next to the Rajoy Palace, was founded by order of the Catholic Monarchs as the Hospital of the Catholic Monarchs after its visit to the city of Santiago de Compostela, with the aim of healing all those who needed medical care after completing the different stages of the Camino. Its function as a pilgrim's hospice was active until the 20th century, exactly until 1953, when another building was created for it. From that moment, what had been the hospital of the Catholic Monarchs, was included in the network of Tourism Paradores and became known as the Hotel of the Catholic Monarchs.
It was designed by the royal architect Enrique Egas, who also designed other important buildings such as the Royal Hospital of Granada in Granada or the Museum of Santa Cruz in Toledo. Its construction took place between the years 1501 and 1511, and its facade shows the Plateresque Gothic style, being next to the Carlo V door in Vivero, the only buildings in Galicia that have it. Inside there are four courtyards that form a Greek cross and that we can divide into two: those that still maintain the design of Enrique Egas and those that have a Baroque style. Also inside this historic building on the Camino de Santiago, we find the royal chapel, which has an ogival shape and was declared in 1912 as a Property of National Interest.
There are no comments on this social wall
© Copyright LA VOZ DE GALICIA S.A. Polígono de Sabón, Arteixo, A CORUÑA (ESPAÑA) Inscrita en el Registro Mercantil de A Coruña en el Tomo 2438 del Archivo, Sección General, a los folios 91 y siguientes, hoja C-2141. CIF: A-15000649